You probably already know that Facebook ads are excellent for promoting your products.
But do you know who your ideal customers are?
You should, because those are the people who you want to target your Facebook ads to.
And without a detailed understanding of who your target audience is, marketing is going to be tough.
Wait, what is a target audience?
Simply put, your ideal target audience is the group of people who are going to be most interested in your brand, and most likely to purchase your products.
Essentially, the people you really want to target.
That’s pretty easy to understand. Finding your ideal target audience? Less straightforward.
There are plenty of attributes that come into play, like age, gender, income, location, etc., and this will usually depend on what it is you’re selling. For example, if you’re selling designer handbags, there’s a good chance you’ll be targeting women who are interested in luxury products (and live in a region that you ship to).
Essentially, a target audience helps you in painting a picture of your ideal customer and infuses more personalization into your marketing,
so you can get the most out of your campaign.
Why are target audiences important?
Even the best products in the world aren’t loved by everybody. But, that’s actually a good thing when it comes to marketing.
That’s because it’d be very difficult to target your brand and your products to everybody.
Instead, having a smaller target audience, but having a good idea of who your target audience is allows you to fine-tune your design, copy, and inventory to match what your audience likes. That’s far more interesting to them than big marketing campaigns targeting anyone and everyone.
Besides that though, having a well-defined audience can give you data that’ll help you to compete with large businesses.
Tips to succeed with your target audiences:
- Create an imaginary customer profile (if you don’t have customers already). Think about the age, interests, and lifestyle of the people you’re planning to target. This can help you identify filters that will help you reach these people like them on Facebook.
- Use the ‘Activity’ tab in the Audience Insights tool to find out more information about your audiences, including which devices they typically use. If most of them are browsing on their mobile devices, you can target ads according to their device type by modifying “Placements” in your Facebook Ads Manager.
- Test and adjust. There’s no one-size-fits all solution when it comes to successful audiences. Create one specific audience and another that has slightly different interests and see how both of them affect your ad results. Adjust and test again as needed.
How to create a target audience on Facebook
You can use the Facebook Audience Insights tool to build the perfect target audience for your campaigns.
Here’s how to do it in five easy steps:
- Go to your Facebook Ads Manager, click on the menu in the top-left corner and choose “Audience Insights.”
- In the screen that appears next, select “Everyone on Facebook.”
- Now use the left-hand menu in the Audience Insights dashboard to filter the audience by age, gender, location, and interests.
- Use advanced filters like relationship status, life events, language, and education to build your target audience. You want to keep things pretty broad here, especially if you’re just getting started with your Facebook ads.
- Click “Save As,” give a name to your audience, and then click “Save.”
If you followed the steps correctly, your new target audience will be available in the Audiences section of your Facebook Ads Manager.